We utilize the most advanced breeding/fibre production technologies available, this includes SRS® and AGE – Across-herd Genetic Evaluation for alpaca. This combined with visual measurements and detailed herd analysis, including shearing, nutrition, reproduction & health management is enabling us to fine tune selection and achieve rapid improvement.
Our breeding program selects for:
• Skin density over 60 follicles per mm2
• Silky soft and lustrous with minimal guard hair, high secondary to primary follicle ratios
• Fine low micron with no blowout as animal ages
• Long thin matchstick sized staples – moving towards twice yearly shearing
• Deep bold crimp
Benefits = longevity of production, high fleece weights
and greater comfort
B. Frame and Breeding Attributes
• Strong, straight and deep bodied
• Good cria growth rates, aiming for 50 kg at 12 months
• Clean faced
• Females ready to join at 12 months
• Good mothering ability with high yield of quality milk.
Benefits = robust health, higher production, easier shearing and healthier cria
• Gentle and calm temperaments
Benefits = easy to handle and greater productivity
Breeding structurally sound commercially productive alpaca with superior performing fleece.